In the late 1800s, the Jewish community made up of mostly German and central European immigrants established roots around Chicago. On the West Side, away from the Stockyards, Maimonides Hospital was established as a Jewish hospital at the intersection of California Avenue and 15th Street. It closed in 1916, and Morris Kurtzon purchased the building for $50,000. Kurtzon was determined to keep alive the dream of a West Side Jewish hospital and declined an offer by the University of Illinois to buy the building. On December 7, 1919 Mount Sinai Hospital opened its doors.